Introduction to Automation for Business Workflows
Today we're talking about the A-word, what it means and why it matters. Let’s talk about about AUTOMATION.
Automation can be kind of a scary topic, but when you break it down, automation is actually very, very simple, and automation is what is going to take you and your business to the next level.
What IS the next level? Making more money and working less. That's the goal, right? In order to do that, we have to have the right strategy and systems in place to get to that next level.
So, here's what we’ll cover today:
-First of all, what the hell automation is.
-Second of all, why it matters, why it's important, and why it's necessary in order to take your business to the next level, and take you to the next level.
-Third, how to use automation to make more money and work less.
So what is automation?
Automation is essentially the process in which you remove or reduce the human element of a process. I'll give you a formal definition in just a second, but before I give you that, let's take a look at the numbers.
In 2016, the workflow automation market was valued at $4.26 billion. By 2023, it's expected to reach $18.45 billion. However, in 2014 a report came out from Forrester that said up to 20% of businesses still have not adopted that change. So what that means is there are up to 22% of businesses that aren't automating their systems.
And if you feel completely overwhelmed in your business, if you know that you're totally missing out on dollars, if you feel like you're a one- or two-person rodeo and you still can't get all the things done, it's normal, but keep in mind your competition is already implementing strategy and systems that are allowing them to take their business to the next level. So if you are feeling those yucky feelings, it's probably because you haven't automated or haven't automated correctly, or you haven't automated enough just yet.
The good news is that with the right tools and the right strategy automation is actually very, very simple, and it's much more simple than it sounds. Automation sounds kind of like a scary, techy thing, but it's not. If you're using social media, you can automate your business!
By definition automation is, “the technology by which a process or a procedure is performed with minimum to no human assistance.”
There are three stages of automation: acquisition, onboarding, and follow-up. These are the three main stages within your business that need to be automated if you are going to have the time and space to truly focus on your clients and passion like never before. Following up with leads, following up with clients after your programs end is okay when you’re just getting started, but at a certain point you deserve to step away from those time consuming tasks, and you totally can!
If you’re reading this and love retouching new leads over and over again or love letting it completely slip through the cracks, please stand up….
So, why does automation matter? The moment you become an entrepreneur, you are setting yourself and your business up so that you don't have to be a one-woman show forever. In order to step into the next level you, in order to step into the next level of your business, you'll need to automate a few processes within your business. Once you do, you don't have to think or worry about them because they're on autopilot- happening all the time. You can really focus on yourself, your business, and your clients.
When you're doing #allthethings, you’re doing THREE much (more than too much) and as a result, you're not able to give 100%. You're definitely not reaching your sales goals, your dollars. Too many of you are missing out because people reaching out to you, and they don't hear back at all or it takes them a long time to hear back from you. Truth is- Those leads have already moved on to someone who has systems in place where they're being warmed up with lead generation that's on autopilot.
The up front cost of automating may be higher, however, hiring someone else to delegate it to is far more expensive long-term. If we're really looking at costs and investment-wise, automation is the way to go, girl!
And also, PASSIVE INCOME, BABY GIRL. Passive income is simply automation. It's income on autopilot. I know that each and every single one of you watching want to make an impact, and in order to make a bigger impact you need to make more income. But at this point, I know you've been thinking, “how the hell can I make more money without doing more work?” You can't possibly fathom adding anything else to your plate, and automation is the way to introduce passive income streams into your business.
5 Key Components of Your Business to Start Automating Today!
(so you can work less, and make more impact & income $$$)
1) LEAD ACQUISITION. Reaching out to people, grinding out in the DMs, in the comments, it's fucking exhausting. I know it. I've done it. I know you've done it. You're probably still doing it. One of the best ways to start bringing in leads, naturally attracting them, is to automate that process.
2) CLIENT ONBOARDING. When you get a new client, what happens? You have to do a welcome letter, and an invoice, and an agreement, and there's all these, you know, you have to walk them through the process. Guys, a lot of that shit can put on, most if not all of it can be put on autopilot. Now of course there's a certain human touch point that you want to connect with your clients, etc., etc., but after somebody has said, "Yes, I'm ready to go, I'm ready to work with you," send them on their way through your onboarding process that can be automated all the way.
3) CLIENT FOLLOW-UP. So, after a project ends or after you've ended a program with a client, what happens? We see this all the time. I see this all the time. Basically you've done your thing. You have finished with that client, and then the client never hears from you again. Yikes! Big no-no, ma’am.
4) PASSIVE INCOME. we talked about this earlier, is a passive income stream, right? You can begin automating passive income streams to get today. There are 100 ways to do this. You can do an e-course. You can do a webinar. You can have a class. There's a bunch of way to automate passive income streams. You've got to get creative. You've got to do something that works within your brand and speaks to your people, but this is yet another thing that you can automate.
5) LEAD FOLLOW-UP. This one is super important, and is probably the number one thing that I really struggled with, but don't nobody got time for that, and that is lead follow-up, okay? When somebody connects with you and says, "Hey, I'm interested in your services. What's the information, yada?" You send it over, and then what happens? They read it, maybe they get back to you and then they fall off or whatever happens. The rule of thumb is that you should have at least five touches with a lead before you say, "Okay, I’m moving on now. They know I’m here if they need me and my services.”
The high end clients I’ve landed, I had to reach out and touch them on average four to five times minimum, because -just like you- people are busy. People are way, wayyy busy, and the whole point is that you want to stay top of mind.
Automate, automate that ishhh, bish. Automate it!
Now, THAT is what automation is, why it's important and five things you can begin automating today so you can work less and make more income and impact. I'm Jessa Glover, business strategist and automation expert. I help online service-providers develop automated systems that convert and simplify.
Questions? Don’t be shy and drop a comment below.